1. Take a stroll or a hike at Deep Creek.
Bring your camera to photograph three spectacular waterfalls.
(Photo by Anna Leonidov)
2. Explore the corn maze and go on a hay ride at Darnell Farms.
Nothing is more fun for kids on a crisp autumn afternoon.
(Photo by Darnell Farms)
3. Ride the Peanuts Pumpkin Patch Express Train.
The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad’s fall special has all the Peanuts characters aboard to entertain the kids.
(Photo by Jason Fields)
4. Rent a pontoon.
See the fall color on Fontana Lake and spend a lazy day on the water.
5. Bicycle Tsali Recreation Area.
You can bring your own mountain bike, or rent one from Tsali Cycles.
6. See a Herd of Elk
Visit the Oconoluftee Visitors Center in early evening.Bring your binoculars to watch a herd of grazing wild elk.
(Photo by GSMNP Park Service)
7. Picnic on the “Road to Nowhere”.
A six-mile drive that ends in a tunnel, the “Road to Nowhere” is a lovely place to picnic. Beautiful views and overlooks and lots of grassy areas to spread a blanket and share a meal.
(Photo by Becky J. Davis)
8. Cruise the Smokies Rod Run, October 20th
Check out the beautiful vintage cars in Cherokee.
(Photo by Nessie Pure Vintage)
9. WNC Pottery Festival, November 4th.
The best potters of the region bring their wares to Dillsboro for this event.
(Photo by Maria Andrade Pottery)
Rumble in the Rhododendron Fly Fishing Tournament, November 4th and 5th.
Bring your rod and reel or just watch. It’s amazing!
(Photo by Visit Cherokee NC)